Hey everyone, welcome to our recipe page, if you’re looking for Hot cross buns recipe, look no further! We provide you only the best Hot cross buns recipe here. We also have wide variety of recipes to try.
Before you jump to Hot cross buns recipe, you may want to read this short interesting healthy tips about Make Healthy Eating A Part of Your Day-To-Day Life.
Healthy eating is nowadays much more popular than it used to be and rightfully so. There are a number of diseases related to a poor diet and there is a cost to the overall economy as individuals suffer from diseases such as heart disease and high blood pressure. No matter where you look, people are encouraging you to live a healthier way of life but on the other hand, you are also being encouraged to rely on fast foods that can affect your health in a damaging way. A lot of people typically believe that healthy diets call for a lot of work and will significantly change how they live and eat. Contrary to that information, individuals can change their eating habits for the better by implementing a couple of small changes.
One initial thing you can do is to pay close attention to the choices you make when you’re shopping since you most likely pick out lots of items out of habit. For instance, did you ever think to check how much sugar and salt are in your preferred cereal? One wholesome alternative that can give you a good start to your day is oatmeal. By putting in fresh fruit, you can improve the flavor and, before you know it, you will have made a healthy change to your diet.
Hence, it should be fairly obvious that it’s not difficult to add healthy eating to your daily lifestyle.
We hope you got insight from reading it, now let’s go back to hot cross buns recipe. You can cook hot cross buns using 24 ingredients and 13 steps. Here is how you do it.
The ingredients needed to prepare Hot cross buns:
- Provide of For the ferment:.
- Get 20 g (1 1/2 tbsp.) of sugar.
- You need 10 g of fresh or 1 ½ tsp fast action yeast.
- You need 280 g (1 1/4 cup) of warm milk.
- Provide 140 g (1 cup) of wholemeal flour.
- Use of For the dough:.
- Get 310 g (2 1/2 cup) of strong white flour.
- Get 7 g (2 tsp) of mixed spice.
- Provide 3 g (1 tsp) of cinnamon.
- Take 50 g (3 1/2 tbsp.) of butter, softened.
- Prepare 35 g (2 tbsp.) of sugar.
- Provide 1 of medium egg (50g).
- You need 5 g (3/4 tsp) of salt.
- Provide 180 g (6 oz.) of sultanas.
- Prepare 80 g (3 oz.) of raisins.
- Get 40 g (3 tbsp.) of white rum (or fruit juice, or water).
- Get of For the crossing mix:.
- Get 50 g (4 tbsp.) of plain flour.
- Take 1 g (1/2 tsp) of baking powder.
- Get 5 g (1 tsp) of vegetable oil.
- Get 50 g (1/4 cup) of water.
- Prepare of For the glaze:.
- Prepare 50 g (1/4 cup) of honey.
- Take 25 g (3 tbsp.) of double cream.
Instructions to make Hot cross buns:
- Prepare the raisins well in advance, best to leave them to soak for a few hours or even overnight. Put the raisins and sultanas in a ziplock bag, warm the rum or juice (on the hob or in a microwave) until almost boiling and pour over the fruit. Squash it around in the bag so that the fruit is well covered in the liquid, zip up the bag and leave for the moisture to be absorbed..
- Prepare the ferment by dissolving the yeast in the warm milk and mixing it well with the flour and sugar. Leave to rise and bubble up for about an hour..
- Add the dough ingredients to the ferment and knead or mix in a standing mixer with the dough hook attachment until the dough is smooth, elastic and bounces of the sides of the bowl or stops sticking to your hands. Let it rest for 10 minutes..
- Drain the fruit – there will be next to none liquid left – and then knead it in very gently, taking care not to break up the raisins. If using the standing mixer, mix the fruit in on the lowest speed and finish off by kneading it in with your hands. The huge amount of fruit makes for delicious buns but it’s difficult to distribute it evenly – so invariably you’ll end up with some buns more fruited than others..
- Leave the dough to prove in a warm place until doubled in size – at least an hour..
- Turn it out onto lightly floured surface, trying not to de-gas it too much..
- Divide the dough into 16 even pieces (they will weigh about 75g each if you want to be that precise), mold the pieces into tight balls and place on baking trays lined with parchment, spaced about 5cm apart..
- Place the trays in large plastic bags, inflate each by blowing into it and quickly tying the ends and leave to rise for about an hour, until the buns are almost touching each other..
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/gas 4..
- Make the crossing mix – beat all the ingredients together in a bowl with a spoon. Transfer it into a piping bag (if you haven’t got one, spoon the mix into a plastic bag and cut off a corner) and pipe crosses on the buns, using your finger to stop the flow of the mix after each line..
- Immediately put the trays in the oven and bake for 15-18 minutes until well browned – except for the crosses..
- Transfer to a wire rack on the parchment – it will make glazing them easier if they are still slightly stuck to the parchment and not dancing around while you brush the glaze on..
- Heat up the honey until almost starting to boil and stir in the double cream. Brush the glaze on the buns – still warm or slightly cooled down, it doesn’t matter – and leave to cool completely or be snatched to tuck into while still warm..
If you find this Hot cross buns recipe valuable please share it to your close friends or family, thank you and good luck.