Hey everyone, welcome to our recipe page, If you’re looking for recipes idea to cook today, look no further! We provide you only the perfect Collard Greens and Bean Soup recipe here. We also have wide variety of recipes to try.
Before you jump to Collard Greens and Bean Soup recipe, you may want to read this short interesting healthy tips about Make Healthy Eating A Part of Your Life.
Making the decision to eat healthily has great benefits and is becoming a more popular way of living. The overall economy is impacted by the number of individuals who suffer from diseases such as high blood pressure, which is directly associated with poor eating habits. Although we’re always being advised to stick with healthy eating habits, it is also easier than ever to depend on fast food and other convenience items that are not healthy for us. In all probability, a lot of people think that it takes too much work to eat healthily and that they will have to drastically alter their way of life. It is possible, however, to make a few minor changes that can start to make a good impact on our everyday eating habits.
You can make similar alterations with the oils that you use for cooking. Olive oil, for example, contain monounsaturated fats which are known as the good fats that fight the effects of bad cholesterol. It can likewise be healthy for your skin since it is an excellent source of vitamin E. Even though you may already consume lots of fruits and veggies, you may want to consider how fresh they are. If you decide to eat organic foods, you can avoid the problem of eating crops that may have been sprayed with toxic pesticides. You can be certain that you’re getting the most nutritional benefits from your fresh produce if you can find a local supplier since you will be able to purchase the fruit when it is the freshest and ripest.
Therefore, it should be somewhat obvious that it’s not hard to add healthy eating to your life.
We hope you got benefit from reading it, now let’s go back to collard greens and bean soup recipe. To make collard greens and bean soup you only need 11 ingredients and 22 steps. Here is how you cook it.
The ingredients needed to cook Collard Greens and Bean Soup:
- Provide 300 grams of collard greens (may add more or less).
- Provide 1 medium of onion (finely chopped).
- Prepare 3 of garlic cloves (finely chopped).
- Get 400 grams of dry rosecoco Beans.
- Take 2 of potatoes (optional).
- Get 2 of bay leaves.
- Get 1/2 tsp of sea salt.
- Use 1 of chicken stock cube.
- Take 2 liter of water.
- Use 50 grams of chopped coriander (cilantro).
- Use 125 ml of olive oil + more for drizzling..
Instructions to make Collard Greens and Bean Soup:
- You may chose to add more or less beans depending on how thick you like the soup as well with the greens. I prefer this soup with lots of greens and reasonably thick. You can add potatoes to make the soup thicker aswell but I chose not too..
- Sort through the beans and discard any hardened kernels then wash in 3-4 changes of clean water. Next soak the beans in water 24 hours before cooking and ensure the beans have enough water to cover them fully..
- Add 1.5 litres of fresh water to a pressure cooker. Discard the old water and add the beans..
- Cook for approximately 30 minutes..
- If you don't have a pressure cooker you can cook them using a saucepan. Add 1.5 litres of fresh water to the saucepan and bring to the boil for at least 20 minutes. Lower heat and Simmer for another 30-40 minutes or until beans are almost mushy ensuring saucepan does not run dry..
- Set the cooker aside until needed when the beans are done..
- To prepare your greens rinse well and cut off the storks. Role 2-3 leaves as tightly as you can and slice as thinly as you can through the leaves..
- Place the greens in a bowl, 5-10 minutes before cooking add lukewarm water to the greens..
- In another saucepan bring water to the boil. Add the cabbage to the water once it has started to boil. Press down with a spoon to submerge as much of the greens as possible. Boil for 5-6 minutes pressing down with the spoon often..
- While the cabbage is cooking blitz about 3/4 of the beans. Add the blitzed mixture back to the pan as well as the whole beans, along with the water the beans have cooked in..
- Add the pan back to the hob on a medium to high heat..
- Add the garlic, onion, stock cube, bay leaves and salt to the beans..
- Add the rest of the water (500ml)..
- Drain the greens and add them to the soup..
- Drizzle with the olive oil and stir..
- Bring to the boil for a further 25-30 minutes. Stirring occasionally..
- 2-3 minutes before turning the heat off add in the chopped coriander. (You may chose to add more or less. I roughly added about 5 tablespoons, but its your choice.).
- Remove the saucepan from the heat..
- Check seasoning, more salt maybe needed..
- Add another drizzle of olive oil, I added about another 3-4 tablespoons. And stir..
- Let the soup rest for at least 10 minutes and serve..
- I garnished with fresh parsley and olive oil when I plated the soup..
If you find this Collard Greens and Bean Soup recipe helpful please share it to your close friends or family, thank you and good luck.